Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Row, row, row your boat

So I promised that I would write about the boat races.  Basically, Dr. Stewart enjoys a fantastic lifestyle.  He worked hard during medical school, residency and when his kids were growing up, but now he gets to relax, work nice hours and take his sailboat out whenever he wants to.  (He still makes house calls though, and is very willing to be accessed by patients at home- his phone number is not unlisted.)

Honestly, I did not understand the majority of the boat related conversation and still can’t tell starboard from port, but I did understand that maneuvering a sailboat require great skill and manpower.  We had 5 people, not including me, who worked together to make sure our boat didn’t end up like this unfortunate one:
poor dismasted boat
After checking to see if the above boat was ok, we resumed course and ended up in second!  (no thanks to me of course;)  I tried to take some good pictures, so hopefully they can give you a sense of the calm on the boat.  This was a great experience and I'm really glad that Dr. Stewart took me out.  His crew were also very welcoming and great fun to be with- thanks again!
























looking up into the sail and spinnaker


















ahoy














No comments:

Post a Comment